So hot of the presses, I called Dr. LJ’s office to find the results of the double endoscopy. I’ll evidently be getting a letter detailing everything.
The good news is that my colonoscopy is completely normal and negative for everything. I guess I’ll just rely on Immodium to stabilize things once I am off meds and take it from there.
The bad news is that I have a hiatal hernia, which is when the top of the stomach intrudes where the esophagus is supposed to be. It’s nothing to be concerned about but it can cause acid reflux, which I have experienced from time to time (including, ironically, last night).
It can be corrected surgically but this is considered an extreme step. Instead, they recommend some simple dietary changes.
I just looked this up, and they sucked. It might as well be a list of food I enjoy.
* Citrus foods, such as oranges, grapefruits, lemons, orange juice, grapefruit juice, cranberry juice and lemonade. Not the end of the world but I do have this stuff 2-3X a month.
* Chocolate. I am good at curbing my sweet tooth most times by I do have this 2-3X a month as well.
* Fatty and fried foods. Easiest thing for me to eliminate — I effectively have already done so.
* Garlic and onions. Love them both. Essential in some cooking. No way.
* Spicy food. Love it. No way.
* Peppermint and spearmint. My precious altoids! Not a big deal.
* Tomato-based foods such as spaghetti sauce, pizza, chili, salsa and tomato juice. No way. I loves me some tomatoes.
* Coffee, tea (including decaffeinated versions) and alcohol. Good luck there. No way.
* Carbonated beverages. Again, no way. So far, I can drink tap water and eat steamed broccoli so long as it doesn’t have a hint of spice or onions or garlic. I think I’ll deal with the acid reflux.
* Dairy products. I don’t use a lot, but once in a while they’re necessary.
* Oil and butter. Oh c’mon. Be realistic!
So…yeah. I’ll just take my pantoprazole once in a while and enjoy my life!