B goes shopping

On Tuesday as I was writing myself a little reminder B asked if I could do a food shopping list assuming I’d be home on Saturday. He leaned over to look at the paper and I said ‘I’ll write it down in a second when I’ve written this.’  Meaning I’d write a reminder to write the list not the list, so as he was about to go about an hour later, and us obviously not having spoken that much in-between, I was a tad surprised when he asked for the list.  ‘Did you see me writing one out?’  Apparently he wanted to get the shopping done on Wednesday to stay ahead of the rush.  (After all my efforts he went on Thursday.)

Wednesday morning I went online at Tesco so that I could include exact details on the list B was going to ring in for later.  And I was very exact, because at home when I do the shopping list I realised how many questions he asks about the items I put on the lists I make.  Now I have to admit it was a case of picking the first item I came to in that category that met the criteria which resulted in a selection of a few items that we don’t usually buy such as ‘Ski smooth strawberry and raspberry yoghurts’.  This made B start questioning things – ‘We don’t normally get them.’ – ‘No, we normally get whatever you think is right.’  Resulting in yoghurt with sweeteners and the one with the bits that Bud managed to eat round.  As I said to him on one of his six phone calls querying things while in the store ‘I thought that would make it easier for you.’  Apparently not!

Now bearing in mind we still don’t know if I will get discharged on Saturday I had to pick things that wouldn’t perish if I don’t whilst also bearing in mind that if I do Auntie Ann is going to feed us on Christmas Day, as usual, but also on Boxing Day to save me – plus this also saves me from having the m-i-l round – its not like we need to ward off starvation.

Medically it turns out that my line tested blood culture from Saturday tested positive for streptococcus sanguinis.  This according to the junior doctor who told me is rare.  He told me this after turning up with a pleasant gentleman I’d never seen before who shook my hand and introduced himself as I read his badge which said ‘Infectious diseases’!  And thought ‘What the dickens,’  It turns out it needs 12 days of antibiotics.  The good news however is that from tomorrow ,I think it was, this can be in tablet form, the one the doctor changed to earlier in the week is the right one for this infection, the line doesn’t have to come out and he had no objections to me going home on Saturday if it was okay with my doctors.  He’s calling back tomorrow.

My mouth is feeling a lot better.  It’s much less painful although its shedding its lining which resulted in it feeling very odd yesterday but less so today.  I also managed to chew today.  That said it was only on tinned peaches.  Oh, and this was an issue raised when doing the shopping list.  I’d said to B about getting some steak but not a whole piece for me, just a piece a bit bigger than he’d want and we’d cut a bit off as I didn’t know a) what my appetite would be like or b) whether I’d be able to chew.  When he subsequently checked the freezer to see if we had any of the things listed in he said ‘We’ve still got a few bags of scampi in breadcrumbs.  You like that.’   And he’s not wrong I do but I don’t think I’m wrong in thinking it goes quite crispy and it needs chewing.

My dialysis yesterday today should have been at 7am.  I woke up about 7.45am to the nurse telling me the renal department had rung a few hours before to say due to staffing issues it would be later.  It turned out that by ‘later’ they might 10 past midnight!  I have to say this p’ed me off a bit as it’s not the first time they’ve just reshuffled my appointment without notice and what sort of time is that to be going anywhere.  I got back to bed at 4.30 this morning and woke up at 7.30 when the water jug as getting changed.  I haven’t been able to get to sleep earlier tonight as I think I’m overtired possibly as a result of not sleeping well the night before either.

The prof came to see me today for a flying visit and confirmed the situation with the infection and my mouth and also that he didn’t know if I’d get discharged for Christmas but ‘fingers crossed.’

And finally, B phoned me not long ago over the location of the Christmas decorations in the loft and panicked when I pointed out that he probably put them away last year rather than me as ‘they could be anywhere.’  He did subsequently find them quickly.  However while he was on the phone he mentioned the mincemeat that he’d bought for our neighbour when he was on his shopping spree.  She’d asked for Robertsons Mincemeat.  He’d asked how much, about two pounds.  She’d said yes as she could freeze the surplus.  He’d bought her four packs of minced beef.  She wanted to make mince pies!  I laughed till I coughed.