The data in this graph is from a search from the ASH abstract listing for the last 10 years. You can find the 2018 listing if you CLICK HERE. CAR T seems to be a recent development, however it has been well over 10 years in the making. There has been a lot of excitement around CAR T, but as can be seen from the growth in abstracts, this looks to be just the tip of the iceberg
1) Abstract 955 – Updated Analysis of a Phase 1, Open-Label Study of LCAR-B38M, a Chimeric Antigen Receptor T Cell Therapy Directed Against B-Cell Maturation Antigen, in Patients with Relapsed/Refractory Multiple Myeloma
Update of known CAR-T LCARB38M: results look similar to bb2121 with median PFS of 15 months. We need more follow up to know what % patients have enduring responses.
2) 2nd gen” BCMA CAR-Ts – for want of a better term: All show promising activity. Problem is going to be how they make it to FDA approval.
Abstract 956 – Durable Remission Achieved from Bcma-Directed CAR-T Therapy Against Relapsed or Refractory Multiple Myeloma
Abstract 1012 – Efficacy and Safety of P-Bcma-101 CAR-T Cells in Patients with Relapsed/Refractory (r/r) Multiple Myeloma (MM)
Abstract 960 – Low Dose of Human scFv-Derived BCMA-Targeted CAR-T Cells Achieved Fast Response and High Complete Remission in Patients with Relapsed/Refractory Multiple Myeloma
Abstract 959 – Clinical Responses and Pharmacokinetics of MCARH171, a Human-Derived Bcma Targeted CAR T Cell Therapy in Relapsed/Refractory Multiple Myeloma: Final Results of a Phase I Clinical Trial
2b) Abstract 1011 – Fully Human Bcma Targeted Chimeric Antigen Receptor T Cells Administered in a Defined Composition Demonstrate Potency at Low Doses in Advanced Stage High Risk Multiple Myeloma
Defined CD4 CD8 composition BCMA CAR-T: Interesting idea. Not sure if there will be a real advantage. Need more data to decide.
3) Abstract 1009 – Tandom Autologous Transplantation and Combined Infusion of CD19 and Bcma-Specific Chimeric Antigen Receptor T Cells for High Risk MM: Initial Safety and Efficacy Report from a Clinical Pilot Study
Combined CD19 – BCMA CAR-T: another interesting idea and may overcome some resistance pathways.
4) Abstract 1014 – Safety and Efficacy of Multiantigen-Targeted T Cells for Multiple Myeloma
Multi-antigen targeting CAR-T: one step further than dual CD 19 BCMA targeting CAR-T. Interesting and may be another way to overcome resistance
5) Abstract 591 – ALLO-715, an Allogeneic Bcma CAR T Therapy Possessing an Off-Switch for the Treatment of Multiple Myeloma
Allogeneic CAR-T – May fulfill potential of off the shelf CAR-T in future preclinical study
6) Abstract 590 – NKG2D-CAR Transduced Primary Natural Killer Cells Efficiently Target Multiple Myeloma Cells
CAR-NK: I guess this is CAR-Tish and can be included in this list!
7) Abstract 1013 – T Cells Expressing Anti B-Cell Maturation Antigen Chimeric Antigen Receptors for Plasma Cell Malignancies
There’s one more CAR-T abstract I found interesting but didn’t know whether it was a “2nd gen CAR-T” or a consecutive patient series with an existing CAR-T.
Thank You Dr. Rajkumar for your leadership in the patient fight to survive this deadly disease.
Another new treatment approach which is becoming more and more important is the use of Antibody Drug Conjugates(ADC). I plan on providing a similar evaluation of this very important new treatment approach in my next ASH 2018 Myeloma Crowd article.