So we have met with the transplant consultant this week and things are a little bit clearer. Not much has changed but we understand it all a little better now which is helpful.
So one thing that he explained to us was that my paraprotein isn’t as low as they would want. I thought that because they are the same as when I had my first transplant, that they wouldn’t have an issue. But it seems that they look at the percentage decrease, and I’ve only reached about 60% where they’d want to see a decrease of about 80%. So, what does that actually mean. Well it seems that we’re going to keep watching for a couple of months. I come off my velcade (thank god!) after next Monday, and they think there is a chance that the Daratumabib has the possibility of kicking in again. If it does, and it takes my paraprotein lower, it might reach a level with which they are happy to proceed to transplant without any further treatment. Which would be great news.
If however, it doesn’t take my numbers any lower, or they start to increase, we may have to revert to the idea of DT-Pace. Yuck. However, at least now, whilst we know that it would be an awful treatment, that it would be the best option available and would give me a much better chance with the transplant. We’re still keeping our fingers crossed that the numbers keep going down though!
He also discussed my stored stem cells which have been at the Royal Marsden until recently. I was told that there weren’t enough, but it now seems that we might have. Apparently I’m very unusual because one test said there were enough and another said that there weren’t. Not what usually happens. So there are some questions to be asked to see which number is the most useful. And in the meantime, I’m going to try and lose some of the weight I’ve put on from a mixture of Dexamethasone (the steroid) and my total lack of willpower! Apparently, the result that says I don’t have enough stem cells, is linked to how many they need against body weight…..so whilst they haven’t said anything about losing weight, I’m thinking it can’t hurt*.
So in terms of dates, we don’t know much more. I think it’ll be April before we have much of a solid idea, and at that point, we’ll probably get told either a timescale for transplant, or that I’m going onto DT-Pace….or knowing my luck, something totally different!!
However, I’m hoping that in the meantime, that coming off the velcade might mean that the next couple of months are a little easier and that I start to feel a bit more human again. I have to say that the last few weeks have become harder and harder. I’ve been so tired that over half of my week has been wiped out. I haven’t even managed to walk Marley and have had to get the kids onto it. Rebecca even dealt with the builders last week, made them coffee and put a blanket over me while I slept for 3 hours. Poor kid. But I’m so proud of how they are coping whilst looking after me.
Anyway, the overall feeling is that by getting the information that we did on Monday, Nick and I both feel in a position that whatever decision they make moving forwards, we have 100% trust with what decisions they’re making, and why they’re making them. And that has to be good. The one thing I never want is to wish we’d done things differently.
* I’ve decided to give up processed sugar, crisps, nuts and takeaways for Lent – take a look at my #50B450 tab on this page.