I truly wasn’t expecting to blog today, because I was waiting for buttons to arrive before I could finish this top.
Because I wasn’t sure how big the buttons would be, I couldn’t stitch the buttonholes.
And that meant I couldn’t finish the armholes, or sew up the side seams or…
Hang on a minute, Roo! You don’t actually have to follow the instructions that closely!
And as you can see… in the end I didn’t.
In fact, there are no buttonholes at all in my version of the Maya Top by Marilla Walker.
I stitched down the front buttonbands and added two very simple cream vintage buttons, at the very top and mid-way, just to make the point that there is a placket.
I don’t think you can see it in these pictures, but I topstitched a giant X just above where my necklace hangs, as if it was a henley front.
The other “style feature” I added was the shirt pocket just above the curved hemline, only on one side.
I was going to add a decorative button to this pocket, but I managed to rein myself in.
There was quite a lot of reining in!
At one stage I was planning to use giant blue Borrower-style buttons.
Then I was going to use a row of mismatched dark red buttons: flowers and squares and round ones and ovals and… stop!
There is nothing wrong with that whole Boden-esque quirky crafty look, but it has started to feel a bit embarrassing to me, personally.
Maybe I am finally growing up?
Nah – unlikely!
If ever there was an example of me finally paying attention to sewing what I actually want to wear, this is it!
A simple, clean and fresh, almost neutral summer top that looks smart enough for the office under a cardigan or even bare-armed in warmer weather.
Absolutely no underarm bra-flash, but plenty of ventilation!
And perfect for showing off my Silly Old Suitcase beads! (Ooh – they are 25% off this month! See the Etsy shop for the coupon code.)
Hooray for Me Made May, wearable wardrobes, self analysis and slowing down!
Maya Top/ dress by Marilla Walker, in size 2.
It is a pdf pattern so you have to take some time to tape and trace, but it is really well drafted, so worth the effort.
The directions are excellent. I now know how to do a French seam without ghastly fraying whiskers appearing from every orifice!
And the facings fit perfectly at the neck and armhole edges – something that has gone wrong for me in the past with other patterns.
1.3 metres of high quality pure cotton seersucker which I bought as a remnant from Dragonfly Fabrics several years ago.
I still have another sizeable piece of this left in the stash for another day.
I was worried it was going to look like a pyjama top, but the necklace saves it I think!
Two vintage Schwanda buttons from ebay a long long time ago.
I was prepared for this to be a “wearable muslin”, but I am pretty sure it is going to be a wardrobe staple.
My next version is going to be dress-length in a lightweight dark denim, with shell buttons.
Or a plain-fronted dress in double gauze.
Or a high-low top in bird-print cotton.
All of these fabrics are in the stash, so there is nothing to stop me… other than finding the time to get on with it!