Two very busy days

Let’s start with yesterday and finish with a very very funny story.  Because when you have cancer, you have to laugh.  You need that tension released.

At the hospital for 8am.  I AM NOT A MORNING PERSON!!!!!!!  AND I DRIVE ALL THE TIME!!! LOL  We got Tony registered for his CT biopsy.  It was supposed to happen at 9:45am.  We also had an 10:30 appointment with his oncologist who knew we’d be in radiology and would be late for the appointment.  The problem is that blood work takes 1 hour for results.  Then the doctor sees you with the results and then orders the chemo based on those numbers. We asked radiology if we could sneak away and get blood work done so we’d have a head start.  They let us go!  It was the look on Tony’s face.  So off we went.  When we got back the timing was good.  They took him inside the CT scan room for the biopsy. But once inside, they realized the CT Scan wouldn’t work with this and they said an ultrasound biopsy would be better.  So we waited.  And waited. And waited.  Around 12:15 they took him back and did the biopsy. They all think it’s an abscess.  These are doctors aren’t they?  Radiologists?  They perform biopsies.  Doctors right?  Opinions….. He had to stay in a bed for one hour so they wheeled him upstairs for his appointment.  No room in this clinic for a bed.  So in the hallway we stayed.  Our oncology appointment was in the hallway :(
Didn’t feel right discussing his situation with people walking by.  Anyways, I guess you need to make the best of situations in this case.  He was told that the CT scan performed 2 weeks ago showed the disease is progressing.  She feels that it is another tumor and not an abscess.  I just don’t get it how they all see the same CT scan and read it differently.  The biopsy will tell all.  We will get those results on Wednesday’s appointment.  His hemoglobin increased to 93 which is good.  His weight continues to drop.  Yesterday he was at 193 lbs.  I’ve never known him at this weight.  He is very skinny and fragile.  He received his Valcade injection and off we went. He required a wheel chair for most of the day.
He wanted to make an appearance at work and see the employees.  It was a nice meeting.  He stayed in the showroom while employees came in to chat with him.  I could tell that he misses work and not the stress that goes with it.

Back at the hospital for 10am to remove his nephrostomy tubes with urologist.  Everything went as planned.  They decided to replace rather than remove.  As he has some activity going on in the abdominal area, they may come in handy.  Better this than be in an emergency situation and put them back in from the mid back into the kidneys.  He had two tiny incisions when they went in. They are good in your body for 6 months.  After the procedure the doctor spoke to me.  They slid out easily.  No complications.  NICE!  When they allowed me to see him after recovery, he had a weird look on his face. His hand ventured downward and did an adjustment.  (lol)  They would only release him after he passed urine.  Afterwards, all good and they said he could go home.  I had to assist him with dressing.  Then I thought I should check out the bandages before leaving so I could see if any additional bleeding would happen while in my care.  He turned.  I looked.  No bandages.  I looked everywhere.  Nothing.  What the heck!  The nurse overheard us behind the drapes.  Opens them up and looks concerned.  “did you do wrong procedure on him?  What did you guys do to him?”, I asked.  She explains that there shouldn’t be any incisions…….OMG!  Can you put 2 and 2 together readers?  I started laughing.  Tony started laughing.  No wonder he felt “violated” post the procedure……LOL  LOL  To the men reading this, I hope you don’t get queasy.  Find comfort in knowing that it happened to Tony and not you!
After this appointment, we had to go to the clinic to meet with a pain management doctor.  Tony is experiencing pain in leg and numbness on thigh and feet.  That’s a side effect of one of the chemo’s he’s taking.  On a scale of 1-10, he feels the tolerance is at 5 this week.  He hasn’t taken any additional pain killers.  But, his fatigue and lack of energy is overpowering.  He’s not eating though.  Also, his blood pressure is quite low.  So, this doctor prescribed ritilin.  Taken as an adult it gives you energy.  My my old man is taking stuff given to high energy children.
No wheelchairs today.  He walked.

GEMM Team is in 3rd place again, sitting at $12,095 raised!  Let’s go team!  Please spread the word.