This weekend I curled up with my comfort knitting, and finally finished the first section of my Kex Blanket – hooray! I got out all my balls of Scottish Aran Tweed to assess the available yardage and determine colours for the next section. It took a whole evening to pick up the stitches, but now I am making good progress.
I have been itching to sew. That’s been the root of my weekday evening discontent – even though it is still light at 8pm, after doing my dog-duties it just feels too late to drag out the sewing machine and get going on a new project. Tsk. Pull yourself together, Roo!
So this weekend I made a start on not one but TWO skirts using fabric from the depths of the stash – yay!
Unfortunately, it is so long since I planned to sew this Betsey Johnson skirt out of blue herringbone linen, I have long since scavenged the special red bandana print bias binding I bought for this project, (using it for my Tribute to Jane shorts) and have had to pause while I find something similar for the hem facing.
This is the inside edge of the front pockets. I need another 3 metres of binding for the hem, I think red with white polka dots will do nicely!
I am making the blue skirt with red topstitching… in blue with red topstitching. How original!
I was inspired by another Me-Made-May participant to revive this project. VeryKerryBerry popped up in the Flickr group wearing a gorgeous linen wrap skirt which she made from a 1970’s pattern. “Ooh! I could do that!” I thought. And so I am, sort of – but mine has ties rather than buttons at the waist. And I suspect that mine will be more of an apron than a skirt, because my linen is a bit too thin for decency.
This month’s Country Living magazine has a similar vibe going on. I might need a headscarf :D
But having run out of binding, I have set this skirt aside for today and made a start on my watermelon linen Chardon. No pictures of that yet – you’ll have to come back another day!