FO: Colette Ginger in UV Light

I have a Ginger skirt! (Insert parade of cartwheeling cheerleaders here.)

The first thing you need to know about this project is that it is a lucky fluke.
By rights, you ought to be looking at a crumpled heap of fabric at the bottom of my wheelie bin, as I sob in the bog.

Fact One: I had less than a yard of fabric and a pattern recommended for 1 1/2 yards.
Fact Two: I cut out a Size 2, despite measuring in at 4.
Fact Three: I totally disregarded the instructions concerning something called an “invisible zipper”.
Fact Four: I didn’t even try it on until I had snipped the last stray thread and put the sewing machine away.


This is what Colette Ginger looks like on 85cm of fabric. I cut a size 2 because that was the biggest size I could squeeze into the space available.

I cut it out and sewed the first few seams on holiday. But I had to stop when I discovered there was no iron to fuse the interfacing to the waistband.

Stats:
Pattern: Colette 1016, Ginger. I made View 1 in Size 2 (but took 1 cm seams to hedge my bets!)Fabric: 85cm of cotton corduroy from Edinburgh Fabrics, bought a year ago to make a pair of baby dungarees. It is a lovely quality of fabric. The colour is best described as “ultraviolet” – a very light lavender blue, which in my opinion looks amazing in North light. The Girl will hate it: I am prepared for this ;)

Other notions: a 10 inch zip, because the shop didn’t have a 9-incher, and a length of Liberty-print bias binding leftover from my 50’s twinset.

The Sewing Experience:
I was so keen to get on with stitching, that I couldn’t be bothered booting up the laptop to find out how to install an invisible zipper.

As a result, the subsequent instructions to finish the waistband made no sense to me whatsoever. The phrase “counter-intuitive” is guaranteed to bring me out in a rash, so I just carried on and sewed the skirt “as usual”. And I had to think about it.

For this reason, I would question the grading of this pattern as suitable for a “Beginner”. Though… perhaps a beginner would be less arrogant and would take the time to check the web as instructed… and therefore find the process a total breeze.
But I don’t have a special “invisible zip foot” so I saw no point in confusing myself.
Shrug.
The cord had a tendency to fray, so I used bias binding to face the hem. This also allowed me to turn it up by only 1 cm.
It is interesting to note that this skirt is considerably shorter in its smallest sizes. If you are tall and slim, take care to check the length before you start. As it happens, I think this length is just right for me… but I am only 5 foot 3, so beware!


Verdict?

I love it to bits!

It was immediately obvious to me that this is no ordinary a-line skirt pattern. It has curves where curves are needed. Unlike every other a-line skirt I have made, it drapes beautifully. (Oops – this picture was taken after a day at work and it is looking a bit creased!)

The waistband options are really interesting and I intend to try all three.

The waist comes up pretty high, but it seems to work at this height. It remains comfortable when I sit down – woo hoo!

It is a sufficiently well-drafted pattern to look good in a plain fabric, while having the simplicity to show off a mad print to full advantage. I will have no hesitation in snapping up some gorgeous tangerine wool for a winter version… once I track some down!
In the meantime… I am thinking autumnal fungi! ; )

Styling notes:
I wore this outfit to work yesterday! No one said a word… chickens!
Lisette Portfolio top, blogged here.
Japanese pattern jacket, blogged here.
Grandma’s fake jet beads and black glass earrings from John Lewis.
Fishnets.
Kickers shoes – rediscovered during Me-Made-June :)